Just Anger

No the title is not attempting to trivialize this often condemned human emotion. Quite on the contrary infact.

Just is used here in the sense of Justice. Anger which is justified and perhaps even mandated. Whom else can teach us about this kind of anger than our immemorial everlasting parent- God. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed in his wrath, and we see instances of Jesus expressing his anger throughout the new testament- like when he rebukes the Jews for their hardness of heart (Mark 3:5) , or his disciples for the lack of steadfastness in prayer or when the Children were stopped from going to him (Mark 10:13-16)

Jesus' anger was always followed by understanding and compassion.

This understanding and compassion is what we often miss out on and hence we mess up with anger management.

Yesterday, I was so angry, I lost control. I did something I hadn't done in two years- I swore dirty. But God's word immediately pierced my heart. Sirach 23 Verse 12.  And I had to fall down begging for forgiveness. This was not 'just' expression of anger and the guilt still weighs heavily on me. It will, till I let myself feel the forgiving grace of God in confession.

If my just anger had also been expressed in a godly way, the emotion and message I wished to convey would have found meek acceptance in the other as opposed to rebellious indignation.

So next time your angry
1) Ask yourself- is this anger a stand for truth & love?Are these the purpose for its expression?

If not, swallow it

If yes, by all means express it such that the right purpose is met , after which, forget it.. Donot be brooding and bitter!

2) and even in anger, Keep that tongue in check. Swearing will only result in self-affliction of great spiritual wound.

Look to Jesus to help you manage anger, "because he himself was tested by what he suffered, he is able to help those who are being tested" (Hebrews 2:18)

Comments

Unknown said…
Lord help us to follow ur word. "get angry, but do not sin"